This year's conference will be
completely virtual using Whova. Find out more by clicking here
Diversity and Inclusion Statements
IUI 2021 welcomes one and all working toward the global inclusion of HCI and AI. The IUI community commits to provide a harassment-free, accessible, equitable, and pleasant conference experience for all. We strive to provide an open, diverse, safe and inclusive atmosphere where everyone feels comfortable to freely express who they are and to voice their own opinions and point of view. Moreover, we will do our best to accommodate specific needs such as online accessibility for talks and videos. We cannot promise to solve every issue, but will try our best.
We aim to provide a safe, respectful, and harassment-free conference environment for everyone involved regardless of age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, (dis)ability, physical appearance, rac, ethnicity, nationality, marital status, military status, veteran status, religious beliefs, dietarey requirements, childbirth- and pregnancy-related medical conditions or childcare requirements.
We work with the Accessibility Chairs and pay additional close attention to the following diversity and inclusion issues:
- Ensuring each organizing committee (General Chairs, Program Chairs, Workshop Chairs, etc.) is aware of diversity and inclusion issues and take them into account in their contribution to the preparation of the program
- Communicating with presenters on how to develop accessible presentations
- Making slides available in electronic format to participants during the conference
- Linking to the Accessibility FAQ to have a virtual tour around College Station, TX
We do not tolerate harassment of conference participants. Harassment includes but is not limited to overt and/or covert acts of:
- Verbal accusations or bullying
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following both in person and online
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Interference with a person’s participation or opportunity for participation
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior
As a participant, we ask you to:
- Communicate clearly and respectfully while acknowledging others’ feelings
- Do not imply that there are things that everybody should know as we all have different backgrounds
- Refrain from offensive or disparaging comments, particularly those related to gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, language, neuro-type, size, ability, class, religion, culture, subculture, political opinion, age, skill level, occupation, or background
- Connect with the diversity and inclusion chairs if you become aware of disrespectful behavior in the above sense
- Alert organizers if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress
Conference participants violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the conference (without a refund) at the discretion of the conference organizers.
This statement is adapted from ACM FAccT 2020.
Please refer to the IUI Accessibility FAQ, the ACM Policy Against Harassment and Discrimination, and the HCI Guidelines for Gender Equity and Inclusivity for more details.